I have been trying to learn to use #hashtags in twitter to spread the Australian Information Security Association message. The #AISA hashtag seems to be used by others on twitter, maybe it means something in Hindi?
So I went and invented the #ozsec hashtag I hope this can be used by the community to communicate australian infosec events, associations, security research and the like.
In case you didn't know here's a few interesting Australian Information Security facts (please let me know if I have got any wrong):
- the 1st free open source port scanner was invented in Melbourne by Julian Assange of wikileaks fame
- there are over 1000 members of the Australian Information Security Association
- there are over 421 members of the AISA Linkedin Group,which I started too :)
- there are world class security researchers in Australia like Mark Dowd, renowned for securing the Google Chrome browser, the only browser to survive Pwn2Own 2010
- AusCERT has been running the premier australian security conference for seven years now and has been in operation for 17 years.
- At least one of CA technologies identity management products is developed in Australia
- One of Microsoft's three main malware research and response labs is located in Melbourne.
- A number of australian universities offer graduate certificates in information security management (RMIT, ECU etc)
- The Risky Business Podcast made in Australia often has true thought leaders in infosec on it. HD Moore comes to mind as well as FX and Barnaby Jack.
- Selinux in Debian and redhat was developed by an Australian in Australia
- Defence Signals Directorate runs a Cyber Security Operations Centre